By Laura Wimble
Along with the importance of creating a Sitemap as part of your search engine marketing strategy, there is another tool offered by Google that can make your life easier when it comes to search engine optimisation. That is Google Webmaster. One of the tools that allow you to upload and submit your sitemap is Google Webmaster. Nevertheless, the benefits of using Google Webmaster Tool as part of your online marketing strategy are not limited to this.
Google Webmaster Tools is a free web service by Google for webmasters. It allows webmasters to check indexing status and optimise visibility of their websites. Also, it is a great tool for reporting statistics and diagnosing your website’s performance in Google.
Why use Google Webmaster for Search engine marketing? Because we are search engine optimisation consultants, we have tried to answer you this question by compiling a list of tasks which can be performed using Google webmaster panel. These tasks would help in doing heath check of your site as well as for creating you search engine marketing strategies.
1. Get relevant information on indexing of your site through Google Webmaster Login. It gives you access to all information from the last time Googlebot accessed your homepage to error reports regarding your URLs.
2. Allows submission of your XML Sitemap to Search Engine. Submitting your XML sitemap will help Google index your deeper site pages and pages that are more difficult to find or may not yet be indexed. After submission, you have the option of seeing when it was last downloaded by Google and how many URLs you have submitted via your sitemap.
3. It provides you with diagnostic data about your site. After you log in to Webmaster, you have the option to click on the “Diagnostics” Tab and have a look over the information provided there and take actions accordingly.
4. Get you statistics about your site. Google Webmaster tools gives you access to see your top search queries, top clicked search queries and information about the Page Rank distribution of your site page. Also, allows you to create search engine marketing strategies based on the information you get from here.
5. You can see insights into the anchor text of links coming to your site. From the “Statistics” tab click on “What Googlebot sees”. There you can examine the anchor text of what people are using to link to your site pages. This helps you in building important search engine marketing strategies.
6. Get detailed information regarding your external link inventory. Click on the tab “Pages with external links” and gain access to the site pages which have a low number of external links and need improvement. This is very important in checking how effective is your link building campaign and how many keyword rich links are pointing to your relevant pages. As a part of search engine marketing strategy, seo consultant would always look for this section on regular basis.
7. Generate / analyse robots.txt. Google Webmaster gives you the option to create a robots.txt file to indicate which robots you don’t want crawling your site, and which files or directories you don’t want crawled. You can also analyse them and see if it respects the modifications you made.
8. Allows you to set a preferred domain. Google Webmaster Tool gives the option of setting a preferred domain that will be associated with this site. E.g. you can choose to always or never show the leading “www.” in Google’s search results.
9. You can set geographical targets. Google Webmaster allows you to associate a particular geographic location with this site if you are targeting users within that area. Nowadays, when there are millions of website competing with each other, local search engine marketing is very important. In this section we can point Google bots to rank us high in the areas we are looking to promote for our website. – 27891
About the Author:
SysComm International is a social networking company, online reputation management and search engine marketing company. Click here to contact us.